Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Seeing the Sights in Madrid and misc

After this post I will finally be caught up with all of my postings with the exception of last night and today which I will try to get done tonight or tomorrow before we leave.
I miss my kids!! This has been great and I have had a wonderful time but I have been ready to see my kids since we left home. We have enjoyed a lot of time together and it was needed and wonderful but I miss those smiling faces, screams, whining, and waiting on them hand and foot. I will be looking forward to those little faces and hugs when I get home.
Okay, back to Madrid.
Yesterday I went on an adventure all on my own I went to go "shopping" but I did not want to adventure on the Metro on my own and not knowing how Andy's time line would work so I decided to stay close to the hotel and see what I could find. So I asked for a map from the hotel and went walking. I was out for about 4 hours - walking the whole time. I did find designer roe here in Madrid and a mall with more designer stores. I did go in Louie Vuitton, Hugo Boss, and Jimmy Choo stores. In each of those stores they had someone standing at the door watching you walk in and every move you made while in the store and watched while you left.
I felt way out of place but at the same time I just wanted to see on the inside. It was neat and I can say that I have done that. I do think that those items were more expensive in those stores than they are in America - how can that be? I did not take any pictures on my adventure as I spent most of the time looking at a map and trying to make sure I knew where I was and how to get back. When I did get back I took a little nap and felt much better.
We have been trying to eat food in each country that is special to that country. In Germany we had sausage and snitzel, in France kebob and cheese/tomato sandwich and crepes, so here in Spain paella and breakfast pastries. We also asked at each restaurant for something they considered to be good local food and in this post are some pictures of what we ended up with and ate - at least tried. Andy has been a trooper! He has had more new things in the last two weeks and had done very well, I have been so proud. So here are some pictures of our adventure.
This has been our breakfast spot here in Madrid. This place is just around the corner and a block up from our hotel.

Here is the nutrious breakfast of morning number one. Andy has started each morning with a pastry and a coke - GOOD MORNING!!!

There was a small joke among the engineers that had Andy in the middle of it all. There was an e-mail sent out the day we got to Germany saying that the men presenting at the University needed to wear a tie, Andy replied back that we were already in Europe and he did not have a tie with him. Dave from Agco replied back and said that he would be happy to supply a tie for him but he could not promise what logo would be on the tie, Dianne from JD came back and said to bring it and she would have something to cover up that mess. And e-mails went back and forth, in the end they did not have to wear a tie or coat so we were safe but in good favor Dave brought his tie to give to Andy to share. Andy was thankful and a little red. In the picture a guy from Agco, tee-jet, and JD.

Andy holding up the tie - the tie went home with Hans Jurgen from JD Europe for a festival that they have in February where they wear ties and the women cut them off?!?!
Our hotel here in Madrid - much nicer than any of the other we have stayed in so far - just different
Our room
This was a speciality here at Tio Papas - Ham and eggs is what he suggested - this is what we got - french fries, fried eggs, and bacon - it was good.
Eating dinner the first night - different but good
The resturant where we ate
A building that faced the palace where the king and queen live
Paella - this is a famos Spanish dish - notice the muscles - we did try them - not a big fan - but over all the dish was really good.
Andy taking a picture of our dinner - mind you it was 11:30 pm when we sat down to eat
Calamari - it was really good - most all places have this it is really good
Ribs - goat we think
Man on a horse - I don't know - I was with 14 men who did not want to stop and find out
Another view
Famous buliding here in Madrid. At night the lights change colors about every 15 minutes
Calderon De La Barga
Another famous building
Note to everyone - of you want to "see" Madrid - do not go with 14 men.


1 comment:

Julie, Brian, Addy & Evan said...

LOL on the 14 men! I see you had no problem getting them to stop and eat however.