Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Tough Day!!!


The day got off to a good start. We were up and going by 7:15 which is late for us. We had a good morning, playing and hanging out around the house. We had lunch with at home with dad. We all left after lunch - dad went back to work and Braxton and I headed to the hospital for our meeting with the dietitian and some lab work.

We got checked in and things were going real smooth. We got to the lab upstairs to find a male lab tech who was not real excited to see us. Lets just say he was not kid friendly. We made our way to the back where they were going to draw the blood. Braxton quickly picked up on the fact that the man was not excited to see him and did all he could to get away from him. The lab tech called for help and the three of us held him down so the tech could do the draw. He got a good stick, but it was short lived with all the screaming and moving around Braxton was doing.

The frustrated tech removed the needle and in a rough voice told me he did not get enough and would need to stick the other arm. He them preceded to tell me I needed to do a better job holing on to him if I wanted this to be a successful trip. I asked if he had any suggestions for me to make it better. I did as he asked and we all held Braxton down again while he took another stick. I could tell right off it was not a good stick as the blood did not com right away. He prodded the needle around for a little while and got some more blood. There was still one vile that needed to be filled. The tech removed the needle and told me he did what he could and he did not think that he was able to get enough blood and that we would most likely have to come back another day to finish. He then proceeded to leave while we were still sitting there.

The lady tech that was helping him came back and got our phone number and said they would call us to let us know if we would need to come back. Then she left. By this time I am in tears but have managed to get Braxton calmed down. He is looking at me trying to figure out what is going on. She came back with our paperwork and suggested that we go somewhere else if we needed to have more blood drawn. She said they really did not deal with to many children. Big surprise! I told her we would definitely do that. She asked if I was okay and I told her I would be and she left again.

We went back down stairs and saw the dietitian. Since our insurance did not cover this appointment we paid for it up front. She was very nice but did not offer any new suggestions. She told me over and over again that we were doing all the right things and to keep up the good work. She said he was a hard case and did not have any real suggestions for us. Thanks! I really enjoy paying someone $125 an hour to have them tell me a doing a good job handling him and his diet.

We left there and headed home. Braxton and I were both worn out. He did not make it more that a mile down the road. I finished my frustration cry and decided to call the doctors office. I called and let them know what we had been through and I would not be going back there for anything else. The nurse was very kind and said she would call me back and let me know what she found out. She had called the house 3 times before I could get home. I called back and spoke with her. She said they had gotten enough blood and make notes of the way things went and would not refer anymore children to this lab.

The sun is out and we are headed out to play. The day will get better and we are now smiling again after a nap and time to cool off. And a prayer of thanks that we do not have to go back for another blood draw! We should know the results in the next 3-4 days.

Thank you God that are kids are healthy and that we do not have to do this very often.

2 comments:

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Okay, I didn't make time to read this last night at home and now I am really wishing that I did. I am so sorry, Neil. I wish that I could have been there. I am glad that God gave you the loving and kind patience that He did. I know that I would have lost it. It would not have done any good, but I would have LOST IT.
Thank you God that what he drew was enough blood to get what they needed.
The day is over and today is a new and wonderful day.

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Sorry that was all negative....Has today been better?
I am glad that they did draw enough blood so that they do not have to do that again.....Love you all 3.5!