Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, December 21, 2007

What Happened?

I have not taken the time to tell you what happened and while I am really not in the mood to go into great detail (mainly because I don't know a lot of detail) I will tell you what I know and I have some cool pictures to show as well.
The month of December got off to a bang with the arrival of Kaden at 2:30 on the 4th. Later that same evening Andy went to play basketball with his co-workers (this is a weekly activity). We took separate cars to the hospital to see Kaden and Andy left from there to go play. I took the boys and went home. Once we got home and settled the I was on the phone with mom talking about the day and Kaden's arrival the phone rang and I did not know the number so I just kept talking to mom. My cell phone rang and I could not get to it in time. I did not know that number either so I let it go. While I was still talking to mom amidst all the phone chaos Karl called from the hospital so I clicked over, he told me that Andy had hurt his knee playing basketball and was on his way to the ER (Andy's cell phone was in the bathroom). So I tried to call the number that had called here 3 times and did not get an answer. I kept calling and finally left a message and Andre called me back to say that Andy had left and was on his way to the hospital.
I called Karl and ask him to watch out for Andy if he came to the ER at that hospital. I was not sure where he was going but I was trying to stop him because with most knee injuries all the ER will do is take an X-ray and send you home when your knee is not broken and tell you to make an appointment with the orthopedic doctor. But to no avail Andy made it to the ER and Karl found him after he was checked in. That's when I got a call to tell me that he was there and to hang tight and they would let me know what was going on.
Well 11:30 rolls around and I get a call to say that Andy is on his way home. So I wait and help him in the house when he gets home.
Wednesday he was in a lot of pain so I called and set up an appointment with the ortho doctor and got the first available appointment for the following Monday and that was a stretch otherwise the next appointment was in two weeks. Andy was in bed all day Wednesday, we got him up for church Wed night and back to work on Thursday. We proceeded with life as normal (as normal could be with someone who is on crutches and in pain).
So Monday we went to the doctor the reason we were able to get in was because this doctor was on call Tuesday when Andy went to the ER. Did we see this doctor in the ER? NO Did they take X-rays in the ER? NO. So the doctor decided that we needed to get an X-ray and we did. The doctors PA came in and said well it looks like you broke your knee. We laughed it off and waited for the doctor. He came in a confirmed what the PA said - what we though was a joke and BROKE HIS KNEE - the actual term was that he had a tibia plateau fracture. The doctor went on to say that he wanted to refer us to a knee doctor the following day and that we could expect to have surgery within the week. I think the looks on both of our faces were quite the shock.
Tuesday we went to the doctor early and he confirmed what we had been told the day before that it was broken and that he wanted to do surgery on Thursday. And that he wanted to admit Andy right away due to the fact that blood clots are common in breaks of this nature. WHAT? So we left the doctors office and went straight to the hospital. Once we were there they ran a bunch of tests and I stayed until they were done with that. I can home to get some clothes for Andy and to take mom to the airport. We got mom safely and I got the boys and we went to see dad. In the meantime the doctor came by to say that they had moved the surgery up till Wednesday morning.
I brought the boys home and got them to bed. I got up early the next morning and went to the hospital to be with Andy during surgery. This is where the other blog entry picks up so I will leave it from there.
Needless to day it has been an adventure and there is a lot more to come. So here are some pictures of his knee and what they did.
Side view of his knee before
Front view of the knee before - you see that crack on the bottom half of the knee on the right hand side - that is not suppose to be there.
Side view after surgery - doesn't that plate look nice
Front view after surgery - one plate and five screws - as you can see the crack is gone! While you can still see where it was it is healing. All this hardware and that crack are the reason that he is not going to be able to put weight on it for 2 to 3 months.
Well I will tell you more of our adventure later!
Thanks once again for all the prayers - they are working and we know that our God is so awesome. We have been taken care of by so many and words can just not express how thankful we are to have such a wonderful family (both physical and spiritual.)

No comments: